Re: [Amps] monitoring tube seal temps

To: "Radio WC6W" <wc6w_amps@yahoo.com>, <n1miw@cox.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] monitoring tube seal temps
From: "Jeff Blaine AC0C" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 12:44:01 +0800
Guys,

I saw one of the Acom 2000 on the bench of a buddy once.  That thing has
some sensors in the tube exhaust.  It scales up the fan speed based on the
temp so the fan only runs at a speed as needed.  Now that's a nice
feature...

I implemented a similar design using the single chip pwm using the Microchip
TC649.  It's an 8-pin unit that bases the attached dc fan speed based on
thermistors.  I used 5k thermistors, one above each tube, in parallel.  From
the thermistors I ran through a pi-net to kill off any rf (probably
unnecessary), and there is no modulation with rf exposure.  only the
thermistors are exposed - the wire connecting the thermistors is shielded.
Another nice feature is that the chip will sense a locked up fan and provide
a error control signal.  So no separate airflow sensor is required.  In
addition, there is a separate threshold input that can be used so that the
fan will be turned off after cool down.  So the fan runs at a lower speed
when the amp is on, speeds up based on the heat produced, and remains high
even if the amp is turned off (and hot) - slowing down as the amp cools -
and then when it reaches the threshold, realizing the power is off, the fan
will cut out completely.  Lot of functionality and minimal additional glue
parts needed to make it work.  The IC sells for about $3.  And DC fans with
up to 300 cfm capacity are available - Pabst makes some very nice ones -
reasonabley quiet at full speed - and silent at low speeds...
Implementations for AC fans are provided in the spec sheet as well, if I
remember correctly.

73/jeff/ac0c