Re: [Amps] Tube choice for SB-200 on 6 meters

To: n1miw@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube choice for SB-200 on 6 meters
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:02:10 -0400

Larry wrote:
>    I agree with you as well Carl. When I use my existing SB-200 on digital,
> I will tune for max output (70 watts max on the input), then drop the power
> down to 350-400 by reducing drive. I just wish they made the amplifiers
> where you can easily see the tubes so they don't turn a cherry-red while
> tuning.
I used to *run* the 3-500s in my 2K4 that way. Never had one fail.  That
was with about 1200 out.  The original transformer had been replaced
with a Peter Dahal, but I don't know why if spending that much the
original owner didn't push the voltage up  a tad.

73

Roger (K8RI)
>  As I'm tuning, I always look into the amp to make sure everything's
> OK inside, as well as watching the grid and plate current. I had enough
> trouble getting this amp to work properly on 15 & 10 that I don't need to
> damage it again by a preventable mistake. That's what I bought this other
> 200 for :-).  ...Larry
>
> PS Oh, something else that I do is refer to my "cheat sheet" when making
> large freq. changes so I can keep the tune-up time to a minimum & not abuse
> the radio and amp.

>>> there. The amp I have was purchased for the right price - I wish it was
>>> the
>>> 220 that I had, because of the tubes. However, since I don't, unless