Re: [Amps] plate bypass capacitor

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] plate bypass capacitor
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:02:42 -0500

I believe that the recommended impedance of the RF choke should be 10 times
the plate load impedance of the amp not the reactance of the plate tune
capacitor.
That is the ideal value but the ideal can not always be obtained when multi
band operation with a single choke is desired. A larger choke will have many
series resonances that fall in the ham bands. When using a small value choke
on the lower frequencies the choke uses enough capacitance to become
parallel resonant.

What about the popular 1.8 to 30 MHz choke that is used in the ameritron
amps and many others. It is 225 uh. It has a reactance on 1.8 MHz of around
2.5 K ohms. That is a long ways from 10 times the load impedance of an amp
with a 2 k plate impedance.

It only takes around 30 pf to resonate that choke on 1.8 MHz. why do you
think that it would not be tuned to resonance no matter if you wanted it to
be or not?

If the choke operated at 2.5 k ohms and the plate tank circuit operated at 2
k ohms wouldn't you think that a significant amount of power would be
consumed by the choke?

The fact is that the choke uses enough of the plate tune capacitance to
parallel resonate itself in the circuit and present a much higher impedance
than it does in the non resonant mode.

The choke gets tuned to resonance no differently than the coils in a pi-L
network do. Each coil shares and uses an appropriate amount of the common
tune capacitor.

73
Gary  K4FMX