Re: [Amps] Ten Tec Centaur 411 repair?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ten Tec Centaur 411 repair?
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:09:50 -0700
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:10:28 -0700, Kevin LaHaie wrote:

>Hello Group

>A friend has a Ten Tec Centaur, model 411 (runs 3 811a) that has a
>problem, and Ten Tec apparently can't help! From my conversation with
>him, it appears the bias is not functioning, so the amp will not go into
>transmit. He has measured the bias voltage, with sits at 14v on standby,
>and switches to 5v for transmit, and it is not changing.

If you do a google search on "tentec centaur 411" the first page will get
you a link to the manual on Ten Tec's website. The circuitry appears to be
pretty straightforward discrete transistors and diodes, real easy to check
with a VOM and repair with commonly available parts. My Titans are built
that way, and I've worked on bias/control circuitry several times.

First placed I'd look would be on the 81754 bias board and on the 81751
input board that has the T/R control circuitry.

73,

Jim K9YC