Re: [Amps] Carbon Resistor Substitution

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Carbon Resistor Substitution
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 10:55:34 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:51:05 +0300, "alexeban" <alexeban@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think Vishay has a family of non inductive resistors, especially made for
>RF work but I can't remember the power ratings.

REPLY:

Caddock also makes a line of non-inductive resistors up to 100 watts, but
anything above a few watts requires a heatsink. Mouser carries them.

I have used them as a passive load in a swamped grid tetrode amplifier and they
work fine. I used a pair of 100 watt 100 ohm resistors in parallel, mounted to
the chassis right next to the input coax connector with very short leads. I like
them mainly because of their physically small size, which allows for short leads
compared to the relatively long "globar" style resistor. The drawback of course,
it the need for heat sinking but in my case the chassis did just fine.

73, Bill W6WRT