Re: [Amps] 304TH, 304TL, 813

To: <jtml@vla.com>, <amps@contesting.com>, "jerome schatten" <romers@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 304TH, 304TL, 813
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 14:08:10 -0400
From: "jerome schatten" <romers@shaw.ca>
To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>; <jtml@vla.com>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2009 12:13 PM

> 1. How to tell if the 813 has graphite or tantalum plates?  I have one
> pair from the early '40's and one pair made in the early 60's; I  rotate
> them every year or so.

Very easy, look at them. The graphite are thick and look like a hunk of
carbon.....which they are. Similar but larger than a 572B.
The others are thin sheet metal.

> 2. Amp runs only on 80/40/30m at 2200v, grids strapped to chassis;  zero
> bias; no suppressors. The pi output circuit uses a very robust  variable
> inductor (square copper wire) that progressively shorts out  un-needed
> turns. Does it make any difference which end (plate or load)  the shorting
> of the turns takes place?

Do the progressive shorting from the Load end.

> 3. Fan sucks the hot air out from the top right above the tubes;  should I
> be blowing air in instead?

Fans are more efficient when pulling air, take a look at the electric fans
in your auto. In your amp it doesnt matter as all you need is a small
movement of air.

> All these things I never thought about when I built it almost 50 years
> ago.

I built my first KW amp in 57, PP 250TH's, fans were for rich people!

Carl
KM1H