Re: [Amps] 76ca

To: K8LEEWMM@aol.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 76ca
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 15:40:56 EDT
As a wild guess (have not been there/done that), the inductance of the
suppressor is too high. There will be a voltage drop across that inductance
related to the current through it. If this voltage is high enough, the 100 ohm
 resistor will be above rated dissipation.

The power dissipated in the resistor is equal to the voltage squared
divided by the resistance.

If the suppressor was designed for 10m, it is not surprising that the
inductive reactance is greater on 6m resulting in more dissipation in the
resistor.

You can reduce the inductance (fewer turns) or increase the power
dissipation of the resistor.

The 3CX800 is a quite high frequency tube with short internal leads. You
may find that the suppressor is not even needed. Again, beware: I have been
there/done that. Use caution.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/9/2009 2:30:14 P.M. Central Daylight Time,