Re: [Amps] 76ca

To: <TexasRF@aol.com>, <K8LEEWMM@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 76ca
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 18:12:26 -0400
The 8874 and 3CX800 parasitic frequencies are well into the higher VHF
range. As such the Alpha designed suppressor is nowhere close to 10M and the
suppressors should be fine on 6M....normally.

That leaves open other problems such as a poorly constructed conversion with
no regard to proper design of the input, output, and plate choke. Any or all
could be at fault.

Id start with a GDO to examine the plate choke for series resonance and go
from there.

Ive converted many 76CA and PA to 6M with 8874's and they are very stable.
Ive also done several LK-800A's (three 3CX-800A7's) and their original
suppressors work just fine also.

Another thought...was the amp originally converted with the 8874's and the
3CX800's just stuck in with no changes? For all I know it could have been
one of mine that the 8874's finally gave out. Ive also done a few that had
seen better days but customers didnt want the expense of retubing and
figured 800W or so was enough.

Carl
KM1H