[Amps] Removing grid shorts

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Removing grid shorts
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:31:32 +0000 (UTC)

That makes sense.  There doesn't appear to be any shorts between filament and
grid or plate.   It might also make sense to put a shorting bar on the filament
pins as well as the grid.   I suppose it would also be pretty easy to apply
heater voltage/current and get it hot, then zap it too.

I'll mess around and see what happens then report back...thanks!

Paul (KG7HF)

...after the filament warms up. In this case, you wouldn't be able to do this
with a cold tube..."

His idea of putting a a shorting strap across the fil pins first sounds
good. I have used the car battery on 3-500Zs with some success. While they
are cold and not shorted, connect it up with clips and then tap the tube
(rubber hammer) from several directions until it obviously pops. Goggles and
gloves -- yes.

73,   Roy   K6XK