Re: [Amps] Input SWR

To: nw7us.heliophile@gmail.com, Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Input SWR
From: Robert Groh <rgroh@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:27:51 -0700 (PDT)
The short answer is 'No' - you don't need to 'tune' the input of the amplifier.
 A 1.4:1 VSWR is pretty darn good.  The VSWR straight through just says that
your load (I'm assuming your antenna) is pretty close to 50 ohms.  When you cut
in the amplifier, you are now looking at the amplifier input and it's input
impedance is a function of lots of things including the output tuning. So it is
not at all uncommon to see a less than perfect VSWR on the input to the
amplifier and, indeed, it is not all that important as long as it doesn't the
higher VSWR doesn't cause your transceiver or transmitter to cut back the drive
too severely.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY