Re: [Amps] B- questions

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] B- questions
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 12:44:01 +0000
>  All conventional silicon diodes, of which the 6A10 is one,
> have a forward conduction voltage that starts at about .5 volts. The forward
> conduction voltage is not linear - applying additional voltage to it causes a
> "clamping" effect, while the current increases dramatically. Regardless of the
> amount of current passed, the voltage will not rise to more than about .7
> volts,
> right up to the maximum current rating of the diode. I like the 6A10 because
> they are inexpensive and have a surge current rating of 400 amps, which should
> be enough for any ham application.

> If you can locate a graph of forward voltage vs current for a typical silicon
> diode, this should become more clear.

   I don't see why hot carrier power diodes can't be used as Ammeter
protection, I don't know how
much they cost or if they are found at HAMfests.  The typical 35 Volt piV
rating is irrelevant in
this application.  The speed of a hot carrier power diode will surely surpass
silicone.
   Adding a resistor in series with an Ammeter for protection should
"recalibrate" it detrimentally,
but when using a mil-Volt meter across a shunt, a series resistor could bring
it into accuracy.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone
                   that they have not first taken away from someone else.