Re: [Amps] B- questions

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] B- questions
From: "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 11:02:44 -0500

Bill, W6WRT wrote:

> No, in nearly all amplifi8ers, the B- line is either connected directly to
> ground (in a grid-driven amplifier) or connected to the cathode (in a
> grounded-grid amplifier) and the only connection from B- to ground is through
> the grid current meter. A few minutes with each schematic should make this
> clear. The B- line is normally always within a few volts of chassis ground. I
> have seen some specialized instrumentation amplifiers where B+ was grounded
> and
> B- was indeed far from ground, but I have never seen this in ham radio
> amplifiers.

Isn't it also true that in a grid driven amplifier, the cathode is
connected to ground and the only B- connection to ground is through the
plate current meter.  This is done so the plate current meter isn't also
reading screen current.

In my amplifiers, volt meters are located in the power supply cabinet
and behind a plastic window.

David
KW4DH
--
Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have
not first taken away from someone else.