Re: [Amps] Excessive Plate Voltage Henry 2KD-5

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Excessive Plate Voltage Henry 2KD-5
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:53:15 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:14:12 -1000, "Roland AH6RR" <Toesonnose@hawaii.rr.com>
wrote:

>Aloha All,
>I have a Henry 2KD-5 that has been sitting for a few years and after doing
>some repairs and tube replacement  I turned it on and the plate voltage went
>to 4000V before I could turn it off. One of the filter caps smoked and now 1
>has a short they all seemed hot, they are the orignal filter caps. I plan on
>replacing the all but I want to know if this will cure the problem. I checked
>the HV supply wiring and it is fine. Should I look at anything else?.
>Roland AH6RR

REPLY:

That is a bit strange, but here is how I would approach the problem.

First of all, make sure you are not applying 240 VAC with the tap on the
transformer set for 120 VAC. Assuming that's ok, after replacing the caps, put
the amp on a variac and bring up the AC slowly. It is fairly likely the excess
voltage problem is in the meter circuit, namely a resistor that changed value.
Check for that first. Your HV may actually be ok. Go from there.

73, Bill W6WRT