Re: [Amps] Isolation Transformer

To: <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Isolation Transformer
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:43:08 -0500
Your useage ideas are good ones that I follow as well.

First a transformer will draw minimal current with no load attached, lets
call it a few milliamps, you can measure and determine the actual amount.

If you hook up a typical AA5 receiver rated at 35W then the total current
will be that pus the amount above.

I work on many line powered radios for customers as well as my self and have
an isolation transformer on every workbench as well as a Variac. It is
simple common sense.

You can use suitably rated switches or relays to configure as you wish. As
far as the ground, the primary should use the standard 3 prong 120 or 240V
plug. The secondary is isolated in all respects thus the term isolation
transformer.

I install new 2 wire polarized line cords to those sets, available in
several vintage colors to maintain authentic appearance.  One of my favorite
"daily drivers" is a 1965 Zenith MJ1035-1, an 11 tube AM/FM Stereo that has
outstanding performance.  Another is a 1946 National NC-46 which is a 10
tube BCB-30 mHz table radio used in the day to day eating area. With PP 25L6
audio and the matching speaker it is a nice performer that gets a lot of
attention from visitors due to its funky art deco styling.

Carl
KM1H