Re: [Amps] Russian Power Tubes

To: patriot121@msn.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Russian Power Tubes
From: texasrf@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:10:04 EST
A few of the VHF builders have removed part of the GS35B anode cooler to
reduce the height. I have no idea how far one can go with this concept but it
is  mucho larger than an 8877 by comparison.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/16/2009 11:02:28 A.M. Central Standard Time,
patriot121@msn.com writes:

And thats why im going this route  ...I have a Yokagawa P9306UL that i
pressed into ameture radio service with  only minor issues really. Then one of
the 3-500Z (emiac lot from 87) started  shorting to cathode after power up -
now is constant - and needed replaced.  The cost of 2 3-500z compared to one
GS-35b leads to the thought of using a  Russian tube. Seeing tht the GS-35b
is almost one inch taller im not sure that  i can fit it into the
compartment that the pair of 3-500z were in. Probably  some case cutting will
be in
order. I will get the calipers out and take some  measurements.

Other thoughts are using some Russian Tetrodes and just  ground the screens
... might not work out - i read somewhere some time ago  that this might be
a way to go due to cost.

Mike
KC7NOA

> A lot of people here in Europe have built amps with the GS35B and I  hear
reports of reliable operation with 4kv on the anode.

> As Richard alludes, we're experimenters and if things go *BANG*
occasionally it's no big deal, especially with $100 Russian tubes.  I  might
find
that the cost/benefit works out differently with a $1000 Eimac  tube,
though....

> cheers
>
> Dave G0OIL

SNIP

> From: RICHARD GEORGE <k6kwq@msn.com>
>  Subject: Re: [Amps] Russian Power Tubes
> To: dezrat1242@yahoo.com,  "amps fourm" <amps@contesting.com>
> Date: Wednesday, 16 December,  2009, 1:49
>
> Funny thing I worked as an engineer for 42  years.
> This is ham radio not space shuttle engineereing.
>
> K6KWQ Dick
>  Amps by "MORE POWER"

SNIP

<k6kwq@msn.com<mailto:k6kwq@msn.com>> wrote:

>   >
>   >The GS-35B will run for ever  at 4KV with no problems.  I have built
dozens of amps for VHF and UHF  using this tube and running 4KV+ on the
anode.

SNIP

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
now.