Re: [Amps] QSK switching time...etc.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QSK switching time...etc.
From: "Roy" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:07:24 -0600
About,

"...When back biased a diode exhibits a varactor effect: it acts as a
capacitance, whose magnitude is inversely proportional with the applied
voltage. Even a few Pico farads in series with the receive path can have a
disastrous effect on the receiver. Sooo the receive path has to be back
biased by high voltage too!
This characteristic is exhibited even by the very highest quality PIN
diodes, like those manufactured by Chelton especially for the purpose. I
know: I used them when I was working, designing multikilowatt amplifiers for
the army. (etc.)"

True only if you are using separates. With a transceiver, the rig is in
transmit mode during key downs. Receiver is disconnected then from the PINs.

73,   Roy   K6XK