Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A Receive muted - relay?

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A Receive muted - relay?
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 06:25:13 -0800 (PST)
I can't disagree with the advice to use the proper material for cleaning relay
contacts. However:

Many moons ago when I was a young sprog working for Cable and Wireless one of
my less pleasant jobs happened each Saturday when I had to clean the contacts
of the hundreds of polarised relays on the TOR (teleprinter over radio)
equipment. We used undulator tape which is a strong paper about 2cm wide - ends
up with holes in it corresponding to Murray code characters. We only used a
contact burnisher if the contact was pitted - and if it was badly pitted we
changed it.

Seemed to work OK and since then I have usually used strong paper for contact
cleaning. Of course the modern chemical products work like magic as well - and
I haven't seen a relay with changeable contacts for years!

73 Roger
VE3ZI