Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A Receive muted - relay?

To: "Dave Harmon" <k6xyz@sbcglobal.net>, "'Amps reflector'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80A Receive muted - relay?
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:08:16 -0800
  From: Dave Harmon
  To: 'Amps reflector'
  Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:23 PM

  Never use emery cloth, 1500 grit paper, regular paper, dollar bills,
  business cards etc. soaked or not soaked.
  The abrasive will remove the precious metal that prevents corrosion and the
  paper will snag in the irregular worn contact and insulate the contacts.
  If you use any of that stuff, you'll be right back fairly soon doing it
  again.

  Use a toothbrush or a cut off 1/4" acid brush and a 'cleaner' of some kind
  sold in every single lectronic store.
  Including rat shack.
  Get a cleaner, NOT with any lubricant of any kind.
  Use the brush while spraying to clean away all the dirt, grime and
  oil-soaked grime from previous attempts. All the crud will go to the chassis
  where the cleaner will evaporate in a few seconds and then you can wipe up
  the crud....if you want to.
  Then, use a real relay burnisher to clean up the contacts and while you are
  at it, the burnisher will clean out all the paper that has got snagged on
  the contacts.

  Yeah, yeah.....I know....it's been done this way for more than 100 years
  now.........its still wrong.
  But not in this shack.
  Do it right...don't come back.

  Friendly and repeated rant off.