[Amps] What is Henry 2K Classic X Worth?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] What is Henry 2K Classic X Worth?
From: "Gene" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:39:02 -0600
I am wondering what a floor model Henry 2K Classic X might be worth at this
time?  Serial 55375, near mint condition.  New Roller inductor, new plate
tuning caps.  Only Modification I added a ceramic formed rheostat to the
input of the filament transformer to lower the filament voltage as it
measured on the high end of specifications.  This is an 80 through 10 meter
model with two carbon plate 3-500z that are fresh and two more similar in
used in box but with full output to go with it.  Under CW high power with
outputs above 1KW the plates barely glow orange.   New Band selector as
well.  This especially heavy duty amplifier dwarfs all amps on the market
and weights enough that it takes two people to move it.  As you know it is a
choke input high voltage power supply.  I have used it little in the past
few years as I have been working primarily psk digital modes, who needs an
amp for that?

In addition to the low use on the current tubes, an extra set of full output
carbon plate set of tubes comes along with it, there are doorknob caps all
rated at 7.5KV for the plate tuning in the values of 3 qty 25pf; 2 qty 75pf;
and 2 qty 100pf.  These were quite expensive from Henry.   Also an
additional bandswitch assembly acquired when learned that Henry was
discontinuing tube type HF amps.  There is also a Guardian Electric plug in
type 12 v.d.c. relay for switching.  Full manual as well.

Also have a kit for triode amplifier from G3SEK that was never installed,
thought it might be a great improvement to the unit, but turns out the
original design by Henry is adequate and superior in terms of protection,
bias, and etc.  So never took the time to install it.  Have full
documentation on the kit.  Also have a line isolator for use with the input
or output per your discretion.  I live in a suburban area with neighbors
right on top of me, most have cable TV, there has been no reports of
interference from my own home systems, computers, sound, television; nor
from neighbors with one exception and that may be related to antenna not
amplifier, 15 meters seems to cause slight interference with one neighbor TV
but not my own.

Amp is wired for 240 volts, I adapted a patch cord to plug it into the dryer
receptacle  which is near the amp and easily accessible there is no way I
would run it on 120, but it is possible to do so.

I have typically run this amp in the CW mode which lowers the plate voltage
and gain of the tubes, it will yield 1200 to 1500 watts out with
approximately 100 watt input.   SSB mode puts 4,000 volts to the plates,
while CW mode puts 3500 volts there, since it is choke input high voltage
supply there is little sag I these voltages.  Grid current is well within
specs.  Power output is consistent across all bands 80 through 10 meters.  I
have managed to use the 40 meter setting to allow for amplification on 30
meters with less power but good gain to within legal limit, inhibited by non
resonance of the input tuned circuit.  The output circuit is PiL with
exceptional purity of output signal.

I have owned this particular amp for almost 15 years and am second owner.
It was purchased from Associated Radio in Overland Park, KS.

So it begs the original question, what is the Blue Book value for private
seller for this amp.  I love it, but do not think I need it any longer.

Also, I have a Palstar AT4K to accompany it if interested.  This cost me
approximately $1.2K and is the most heavy duty tuner I have owned.
Everything else used prior has arced, burned contacts, etc. behind the Henry
2K Classic X. The Palstar is a truly output rated tuner that covers a broad
range of impedances.   It is only 3 years old and mint.  I wonder what it
would be worth as well?

Ok, Happy New Year 2010 to all.

KB0GU