Re: [Amps] Source GU-84B fil xfmr

To: texasrf@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Source GU-84B fil xfmr
From: James Colville <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:19:39 -0800
Here's what I do.

Use a transformer with higher filament voltage than needed. Then put a 100
to 150 Ohm 12.5 watt rheostat (pot) in series with the primary. Set the
desired filament voltage with the rheostat. This puts a series resistance in
series with the primary of the transformer which makes an automatic current
limiter.  And with the rheostat you can adjust your filament voltage.

I used a 125 ohm 12.5 watt in series with the 240 volt primary on my 8877
transformer. The transformer is from Ameritron and is used in the AL-1500.

73
Jim W7RY