Re: [Amps] KK5DR's ferrite loaded plate chokes.

To: "James Colville" <jimw7ry@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] KK5DR's ferrite loaded plate chokes.
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 01:57:18 -0800

From: James Colville
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:36 PM
To: Jim Thomson
Cc: amps@contesting.com

I just wound an ameritron look alike with #28. It's larger than they use. I
have an original ameritron choke to compare with. I think they must use #29.

My resistance was lower using #28 and it was less uH.

73
Jim W7RY

##  Tnx.     29 ga  wire will get  hot  with 2A flowing.  I used a test jig
with a variable [ current limited]  dc supply,
0-60 vdc @ 5A max,    and  simply hooked it up to several chokes  for testing.
Feed 1-2 vdc  to the choke, and then watch the
built in digital ammeter... [ down to 1/10ths]     The large 180 uh choke  from
the Henry 8-K ultra  uses  24 ga wire is fine up to 1.5 A. [warm]
..... then gets really hot  at 2A.  Remove the power,  and quickly measure the
dc  resistance, and you will see it has risen a whole bunch.
 Of course, with I squared R, the  choke gets into  thermal runaway...fast!

##  next up was  27 ga  wire... same deal, but way less current involved.
29 ga will be worse still !   22  ga is  superb  for 99% of the heavy
duty applications.   I also tested the 20 uh small plate choke from the Henry
8-k  ultra [wound with 18 ga]... and of course it ran stone cold
with the max of 5-A  my little bench supply  could deliver.  I don't like stuff
running hot at the best of times.    Part of the scenario is the turns are
packed in tight, plus  wound on Teflon rods, plus use polyimide insulation,  so
any heat developed inside, has a hard time getting out.  IE:
it's insulated on 3x  sides.

later... Jim  VE7RF