Re: [Amps] Metal work.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Metal work.
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:22:33 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 05:19:55 -0800, "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
wrote:

>make all my panels  from6061-T6  plate... 1/8" thick.   Front panel only, is a
>shinier  alloy. All the various plates are put togethervia  1" x 1"  x  1/8"
>thick   ANGLE  AL  [6061-T6]K7RDX does the same, or similar.  Each individual
>panel can be removed, andpunched/drilled, then re-installed.

REPLY:

My very first amp I did that way. Never again.

For those who don't want to spend the rest of their ham career
machining metal, try this: Use a cabinet that accepts the standard 19
inch wide panels. To that panel, fasten a 17x17x3 inch chassis with a
bottom plate. On the back of the cabinet, use a panel that is three
inches shorter than the front panel so it just comes town and touches
the rear of the chassis. Simple and effective.

Just be sure you get the right height panel and cabinet. Remember the
chassis will be three inches high and figure the height of components
above the chassis accordingly and then get a cabinet and panel at leas
one inch taller.

I have tried several cabinet manufacturers and prefer the Hammond
above all others, but any of them will do. Your call.

73, Bill W6WRT