Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy maybe build
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:22:08 -0600
Some parts at flea markets are safer than others.  It is pretty hard
to go wrong buying output tank circuit inductors and air variable caps
for example.  Plate and cathode chokes are probably a safe buy too.
Tube chimneys, sockets....anything that by its nature is open to
visual inspection and has a low chance of hiding any surprises is
safe.  So for example I probably wouldn't want to buy any ceramic
tubes but I'd buy mounting hardware and silver plated strap, roller
inductors etc. in a flea market.

Rob
K5UJ

<<<<<You can't really compare hamfest scrounged parts to brand new. Would
you buy an amp from Alpha if they told you all the parts were
scrounged from a hamfest?

When a person finishes their scrounged-part amplifier, they are
basically starting off with a used amplifier. I am not knocking used
amps, just wanting folks to be aware of what they are getting for
their efforts.>>>>>