Re: [Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy /amp notes

To: "'Amps reflector'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy /amp notes
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:26:26 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:49:53 -0500, "Gary Schafer"
<garyschafer@comcast.net> wrote:

>I was basing it on tuning up for MAXIMUM power output (as most of us do)
>from the amp in both pulse tune and carrier tune. In this case the amplifier
>is limited in the amount of current that it will draw by the plate voltage
>value.
>
>You will always be able to get more power out with pulse tuning because you
>will have higher plate voltage AND will be able to draw more plate current.

REPLY:

Ok, I see what you are saying, You are talking about tuning up for
maximum, but something less than the legal limit. In that case, I
agree with your comments.

But that raises another question. Supposing you use a 50% duty cycle
pulser and then go to SSB and your voice duty cycle exceeds 50%, which
it might if you say aahhhhhhhhh or something like that. Won't you
splatter?

73, Bill W6WRT