Re: [Amps] Fleamarkets and more

To: "Mike" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fleamarkets and more
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:25:49 -0500
Many if not most HS in the NYC-LI area had clubs in the 50's. We were the
training grounds and fresh meat for the regular clubs FD operators efforts.

The first HS I went to was a Catholic one in the middle of Brooklyn. It used
a Meissner Ex Signal shifter driving a HB 813 with 811 modulators built by
one of the Brothers who was a WW2 Army radio tech and was my math teacher.
The receiver was a HQ-129X with Hallicrafters Panadaptor. The antenna was a
Telrex 3 el Christmas tree on the roof 5 stories above the street. It was
easy working DX with that setup and the call was W2ZLK.

The 2nd one was out on LI and we had a brand new DX-100 with a NC-240D to
two 400' long wires at almost right angles tied off to trees in the
adjoining state park. It was there that I developed a lifelong hate for
antenna tuners (-;. We used our own calls and the paper work for a club call
was in process when I graduated.

Carl
KM1H