Re: [Amps] Vac Relays for B+

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Vac Relays for B+
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 18:44:51 +0000
Gary Schafer wrote:

>> The purpose of a properly sized HV resistor is to both limit a tubes
>>fault  current during an arc but to also survive until the primary
>>fuse or breaker  does its job.   A true vitreous enamel wirewound
>>works well for this.
>>
>> OTOH, that tiny resistor can AND WILL sustain an arc under the right
>> conditions and result in some serious damage to other components.

A genuine purpose-designed HV fuses don't look anything like a small
resistor. That should be telling us something...

>> Carl
>> KM1H
>>

>I agree with Carl. A fuse in the high voltage, whether it be a resistor
>or a regular fuse will sustain an arc when it opens and can let more
>energy thru than you want.
>
>The glitch resistor can not be just any old resistor either. It has to
>withstand the full high voltage potential of the power supply. When
>there is a short, full high voltage appears across the glitch resistor.
>Sometimes more than one vitreous enamel resistors are put in series to
>get the voltage rating needed.

Yes - and Jim VE7RF had it right too:
## The  big 50 ohm glitch R.. LIMITS the fault current.  The HV fuse,
INTERRUPTS the current !

That's right: two different components, two different functions.

It's all in Eimac Bulletin 17 <http://tinyurl.com/18r>

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek