Re: [Amps] Design of 2-meter strip lines or parallel lines

To: sub1@rogerhalstead.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Design of 2-meter strip lines or parallel lines
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:17:04 EST

Roger, I have built my share of VHF, UHF and Microwave amplifiers through
the years. In the process, I have learned a lot about how they work and will
 share a few "secrets" with you.

The book you are looking for does not exist. You are left with three
on
your own and be prepared for some cut and try (that is how the known good
designs were developed) or 3> buy a new or used unit.

You ask: why can't I just design the amplifier? The reason is that the
internal inductive reactance of every tube model is different and get this:
the inductive reactance changes with frequency. As the inductive reactance
rises with frequency, the capacitive reactance between tube elements lowers
with  frequency. There is even a frequency that the two reactances are equal
and look  like a short circuit. Above that frequency the reactance between
the tube  elements turn inductive instead of capacitive. This is at the tube
connection  points, the capacitance is still there internally.

The tube manufacturers for some reason have never characterized the
internals of the tubes to allow us to accurately predict the inductance at
various amateur frequencies. One of the reasons may be because the tube
internal
connections become part of the resonant circuits. If your plate resonator is
a  stripline the Zo of the line is very different compared to a coaxial or
waveguide design.

At HF, the variation of this reactance is not as severe and we can use  the
input and output capacitance and be close enough for matching network
designs. Not so at VHF and UHF. Even a small 15 pF capacitor has the same
problem. For example, one with .25" leads has enough series inductance to make
the 15 pF work as if it were 1000 pF or so. With longer leads, it is no
longer a  capacitor for the frequency of interest but looks like an inductor.

At these frequencies, you do not get to choose loaded Q as one might wish
to deal with various plate load impedance variations caused by changing the
plate voltage or current. You have take what you get as the loaded Q can be
60  to 100 or more at 70cm. Even on 2m typical loaded Q can be 20 to 30.
There is  little you can do to lower these numbers other than using good
common sense:  minimize any shunt capacitance, use the highest quality
resonator
design (strip  lines are not the best), Use the lowest plate load impedance
possible with the  tube you have (maximum plate current, less than maximum
voltage). And finally,  pay attention to rf current flow in the plate
resonator. If a strip line is  used, nearly all of the current flows on one
side of
the tube anode. There is  that inductance mentioned above and every
inductor has a given Qu and resulting  loss resistance. If most of the current
is
flowing on 1/3 of the tube plate  connection, there is 3X current compared to
an optimum design. Losses being  related to current squared, they are 9X-2
or 7 times an optimum design. These  losses are subtracted from your output
power and can damage the tube or  fingerstock. Also, in some tubes, such as
GS23B, the material being heated by  the losses will change dimensions
enough that the resonant frequency drops. With  the loaded Q being so high, it
takes a few seconds for the power output to drop  to half or less. Of coarse
you can keep one hand on the plate tuning control and  bring it back but who
wants to do that? These problems go away with a circular  resonator design.

Did I mention that I am down on stripline designs?

By now, you have found the ND2X website with all of the various Russian
tube designs. There is a wealth of information there and most of it is  good.
A few of the published designs by YU1AW are from computer models and  do not
work in practice. Beware of any designs designated "lazy builder". I
recently helped W9IIX with a GS35 222 MHz amplifier project started from the
YU1AW info and it was a ball of flames at turn on.

I will be happy to critique any design you might wish to try. In fact, I
will offer unending moral support for your VHF or UHF amplifier projects.

73,
Gerald K5GW
eme capable on 6m, 2m, 135cm, 70cm, 23cm, 13cm, 9cm, 6cm and nearly ready
on 3cm

In a message dated 2/12/2010 3:36:42 A.M. Central Standard Time,