Re: [Amps] step start /triacs/Line Side Regulator

To: Jim Thomson <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] step start /triacs/Line Side Regulator
From: "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 06:55:09 -0500
In the October 1987 QST there was a construction article for line side
proportional control regulator for a high voltage power supply.  Its
purpose is to prevent the HV from soaring under idling conditions when
the tube was not drawing current.  The circuit uses a comparator to
sample the HV and turn a triac in the primary of the transformer either
off or on depending up the relationship of the sample to a reference
voltage.

I don't think I have ever seen this circuit implemented in any designs
or any discussion about it.  I am building a new amp and was thinking
about using it.  Is it a good idea or are the draw backs to it?

David
KW4DH

Jim Thomson wrote:

> Yep. Emtron have been doing it for many years and it is superb.
>
> Alek,
> VK6APK
>

> ### ramping up over how long a period of time,  5 x secs,  10 x secs
> 1x sec,  or what I suspect is  from a zero cross point, up to the top
> of the cycle.. [IE:  4.17 msecs]   ????
>
> ##  will the triac  handle the huge pulses every 8.3 msecs??
>
> ##  My problem with the SSR's is... they need a BIG heatsink
> They should also be supplemented  with a breaker or fuses.
> There is too much leakage current through them imo.  If you
> are  working on an amp that has them,un-plug  from the
> 240v line  1st.
>
> ##  IF you decide on using SSR's... get one that has a
> zero cross voltage turn on.... and a zero cross CURRENT
> turn OFF.
>
> Later... Jim VE7RF

National Health Insurance
* Compassion of the IRS