[Amps] step start /triacs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] step start /triacs
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 04:04:43 -0800

>Some commercial amps are moving to Triacs and ramping the voltage up
>instead of a "step start" and I understand they are working quite well.
>
>73
>
>Roger (K8RI)

Yep. Emtron have been doing it for many years and it is superb.

Alek,
VK6APK

### ramping up over how long a period of time,  5 x secs,  10 x secs
1x sec,  or what I suspect is  from a zero cross point, up to the top
of the cycle.. [IE:  4.17 msecs]   ????

##  will the triac  handle the huge pulses every 8.3 msecs??

##  My problem with the SSR's is... they need a BIG heatsink
They should also be supplemented  with a breaker or fuses.
There is too much leakage current through them imo.  If you
are  working on an amp that has them,un-plug  from the
240v line  1st.

##  IF you decide on using SSR's... get one that has a
zero cross voltage turn on.... and a zero cross CURRENT
turn OFF.

Later... Jim VE7RF