Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1500

To: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ameritron AL-1500
From: Dave Weiss <davidhweiss@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:24:55 -0500
The AL-1200 has protective circuitry for over Grid current and you can add
an over grid protective circuit option which I did but Mike from Ameritron
said wasn't necessary.  I get near 350MA during tuning and the unit goes
into standby and then you have to toggle the operate /standby switch; all is
then normal.

Bothe are great amps, I suspect that the 1200 is more forgiving (personal
experience) HI HI.

73 All, BTW a great thread.. Shon, you will learn from this group.

Dave K3FT

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

> Shon Edwards wrote:
> > I'm a bit new to HF and am looking at getting an Ameritron AL-1500 amp
> for
> > some high power.  I am also going to get the Hy-Gain AV-18HT to help me
> > punch out that power.  I'm really interested in doing some DX work.  Does
> > anyone have any advice on someone getting a high-power amp for the first
> > time?  I want to get a lower-priced amp, but high power.
> I can offer a personal opinion:  I think the most bang for the buck is
> probably the AL1200.  It's a legal limit amp with one of the most rugged
> tubes on the market which is the most rugged tube in the normal ham
> market place. Just the thing to handle the mistakes of new comers and
> senior moments alike.  I don't know what it has in it for protective
> circuitry, soft start, or full break in (if you operate CW)  I'm not
> particularly fond of Ameritron amps, but OTOH they offer what I think is
> quality for the money and have a full range of amps although I'd only
> consider the AL1200 and AL1500 for legal limit with relatively heavy
> duty power supplies.
>
> They are pretty much "read the manual", then plug and play.
>
> 73 and good luck,
>
> Roger (K8RI)
> >  I'm kind of a
> > "Panasonic" guy.  I like to buy something that is a work horse and that
> is
> > pretty decent quality, but isn't the top of the line (Usually you're not
> > paying for much extra at the high end of things - a lot of money usually
> > doesn't go a long way after a point).  I'm going to usually be doing SSB
> 160
> > - 6 M.  Not sure how much speech processing I will be doing.  What would
> be
> > recommended?  Is there any more info on my situation I should be giving
> > help get advice in my decision?  Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Best regards de KO3U, Shon, sre.1966@gmail.com

Dave  K3FT