[Amps] Tuned inputs for any GG HF amp.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Tuned inputs for any GG HF amp.
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:54:56 -0800
donroden at hiwaay.net donroden at hiwaay.net
Wed Feb 17 18:19:16 PST 2010

  a.. Previous message: [Amps] GS-35B Input

I think large variations in drive impedence through the rf cycle are
somewhat smoothed out by a low to medium Q input..   BTW, L-C-L (
lowpass ) might be better.

Don WA4NPL

 Broad band does not work.  The Henry 8 k used one.. and lousy input swr. Henry
also said, DON'T use the auto tuner in ur xcvr. Just put up with the lousy swr.
 No fly wheel effect.   Instead of 9 x  bandswitched  pi nets,  I use  2 x
broadcast variables + tappedcoil. Caps padded on 160m.  FLAT  SWR  across all
bands. Besttuned input I have used by far.  just use small straps, for
taps,which will minimize stray C.  A 2 x wafer switch used.  Wafer 1changes
taps.  wafer #2 pad's C2  on 160m only.  Entire coilused on 160m, so 160m pos
of wafer #1, used to pad C1on 160M.  I used 6;1 verniers.  very FAST band
change..just dial by the numbers.   I put wattmeters on both sides+ dummy load.
 I was losing a bit too much power on 17 + 15 m taps. [ 220 w in- 160 w out]
So increased uh by a 1/4 turn, then presto, output wattmeter is way up.
Later... Jim   VE7RF