Re: [Amps] 120 Hz hum from Henry...

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 120 Hz hum from Henry...
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:43:04 -0500
A choke input filter with sufficient L or a swinging version will improve
dynamic regulation over the typical commercial amps single C in any class of
service. They were used for decades, and still are, in Class AB and B
modulators.

My 1200W LK-500 SSB/CW amp with 26uF filter has a 400-450V swing on the
meter. My PP 304TL modulator with an untuned 20H choke input and 24uF of C
has a 200V swing. The only purpose of choke tuning was to be able to use
less inductance but there have always been reliability tradeoffs. Sometimes
bigger is better.

Carl
KM1H