Re: [Amps] 120 Hz hum from Henry...

To: "'Carl'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 120 Hz hum from Henry...
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:03:24 -0500
Old news yes, but old dogs may want to learn from it. :>)

Reading the voltage swing on the plate volt meter is not looking at dynamic
regulation of the power supply. It is showing you the static regulation as
the meter is too slow to follow.

I highly recommend reading the articles from "GE ham news" that John K4PRO
referenced on power supply dynamic regulation. It spells out exactly what is
being talked about here.

Note in the article that with a 20 henry fixed and a swinging choke that
using a 45 microfarad capacitor still gave a dip in the high voltage. It
took around 90 microfarad to eliminate it. And that was on a 250 ma supply!

I have quoted Johns email here:

"There is some information here from the old GE Ham News, on power supply
dynamic regulation, on the AM Window:

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/tutor.htm

Also a paper by Wallace Walhgren of the former Electro Engineering, now
Stangenes Transformers, on transmitter performance without filter chokes."

73
Gary K4FMX