Re: [Amps] snubbing diodes for vac relays / notes.

To: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] snubbing diodes for vac relays / notes.
From: "Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:12:18 -0700
Hi Jim,

I was particularly interested in this part of your response:

> In any event, the AUX  contacts on it are only rated for 28 vdc !!    You
> will destroy
> them, if  using + 120vdc  for  switching cut off bias.  +120 vdcv  for cut
> off bias is
> dinosaur technology.  Better  to simply use a 100 K  3 watt  MOF  in the
> CT of the
> fil xfmr.. and short  the same 100 k R  out  with the  contacts   of the
> bias relay.
> Only a spst relay is required for this.

I discovered the 28VDC rating of the aux contacts AFTER I bought the damned
thing... D'oh!! The rating may have more to do with total power dissipation
than with voltage above ground, so it might work anyway... I'm open to
trying your idea, though, once I understand it.

In the SB-220 (and also I think other similar GG amps from the same era),
the center-tap (C.T.) of the filament transformer is connected to the common
pole of the SPDT contacts. In RX mode, the normally-closed contact provides
the C.T. with cut-off bias (120VDC). In TX mode, the 8+V operating bias is
connected to the C.T.

Can you be more specific in your recommendation? What are you connecting
through the 100K ohm resistor to the filament transformer C.T.? The
operating bias, I would have to think -- with the resistor shorted out in TX
mode. In RX mode, then, the tube cathodes would get the same operating bias,
but through the 100K ohm resistor. I'm not quite visualizing how that would
work in cutting off the tubes. Please explain?

Thanks,
Bill W5WVO