Re: [Amps] Why people don't build amps.

To: "Richard Schmuke" <rdj@wildblue.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why people don't build amps.
From: "Zeitler, Lane LT, FST-1" <zeitlel@cpr3.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:21:34 -0800
Hi Rich,
I USED to be very fluent with amp design and theory. Probably not nearly
as fluent as most of the common 'posters' to this reflector but I did
successfully HB some amps in the early 90's. At that time I was an
electronics tech for the Navy, former ET Chief Petty Officer, now Navy
LT. I worked mostly on big radar systems including IFF, surface and air
search, and some BIG HF comm. systems such as Harris, URT-23, etc.

Now, I am an emergency room nurse, still active duty for the Navy but in
a much different role. I LOVE my new job as an emergency/trauma nurse
(been an RN since 2001). I deployed to Iraq for seven months in '06
doing what I NOW do, taking care of injured Marines for the most part.
BUT the love for the theory and building never really went away. But I
forgot a lot of the 'stuff' simply b/c it was not used. So how did/do I
fix this?

I am now downloading manuals off of the internet. I have downloaded the
SB-200, SB-220, L4B, and 30-L1 manuals in their entirety and placed them
in 3 ring binders. Why these amps? Because they have 'theory of
operation' sections that EXPLAIN how the circuits work. This is
priceless info. I am re-learning the technical aspects again of not only
maintaining and repairing but also at the same time learning how to
build up from scratch. Without these FANTASTIC technical resources I
would be dead in the water as we say in the Canoe Club.

I also have dug back into one of the all time best resources....the West
Coast Handbook by w6SAI. I recommend several versions of this since the
projects do change from decade to decade. For example, I have maybe 5 or
6 of his Handbooks starting from the early yrs of maybe the late 60's
then I spaced them out every 5 to 6 yrs or so. I also have the very last
one that was printed which was perhaps circa 1996 or something like
that. His last runs of Handbooks were getting more 'hi-tech' and
included data that was computer generated. Very nicely done. Also, the
later versions included amp designs that allow ops on 160.

Ditto the same for the ARRL handbooks. But my library starts much
earlier. I think my first one is dated around 1948 or so and again, I
have one of these for every 6 to 10 yrs of publication. The ones printed
in the 80's/early 90's are neat b/c they incorporate 160 mtrs into their
designs which is a plus for me since that is my favorite early morning
band before going to work.

If I run across a nicely done website I make a note of it in my master
Word doc list that is just a simple list of GOOD websites, mostly hosted
by hams like us, who have taken the time to put together a website that
EXPLAINS the theory behind the designs.

My most recent advance was subscribing to this GREAT list, or whatever
the heck you call this. I also am somewhat active on the eham dot net
"amplifiers" forum. If I really need an answer to a question I will ask
it both here on 'amps' and also on the eham forum. I will always get a
reply from at least one of two resources so I am covered. Plus being at
sea really heavy new lends itself more to internet based resources which
is handy. This allows me to leave my 'paper' library at home where it
belongs, but yet I can still surf the web and play on this list
in-between seeing patients here on the ship. I am blessed. What else can
I say?

We (the ship) will be making a seven month deployment this coming May
(could be extended to 9 months so stand-by xyl!!!) but hey, I am cool
with that b/c I can "play radio" in my head by participating in this
forum and visiting the online websites. I get ideas for projects and
then make a note of it on my "amps" Word doc so I do not forget later.

This is how I roll. GL.

LT Lane Zeitler
USS Peleliu LHA-5
ARS Ku7i