Re: [Amps] 7-16 Din connectors'.

To: Jim Thomson <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 7-16 Din connectors'.
From: James Colville <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:59:21 -0700
It's Andrew!   Not Andrews

73
Jim w7ry

On Mar 30, 2010 2:14 AM, "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net> wrote:

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:57:24 -0400
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 'good engineering'

Zeitler, Lane LT, FST-1 wrote:
> Better get busy constructing some heavy duty open wire feeders while you
> are at to feed your antenna. I am thinking 8 gauge stranded would work
> great, say, with 3 to 4 inch spacing.

LMR-600 and 7/16ths connectors should do it through HF, or get some
surplus 7/8" heliax. More than likely even PL259's would be sufficient
for 5KW.

73

Roger (K8RI)
> Lane
> Ku7i

##  for the record... it's called a  '7-16 DIN' connector.   It is NOT a
'7/16" connector!
The 7-16  means  7mm /16mm.   The OD of the FEMALE  that the PIN  plugs
 into
is 7mm  [.284" ]    The solid MALE  PIN itself is of  course, LESS than  7mm
OD.

##  There is No RF on the male pin anyway.  Once mated, all the RF  travels
 down
the outside of the mating 7mm female.   The braid /shield  portion  goes to
the
collet  fingers  of the mating FEMALE.  The  ID of this collet is a whopping
16mm.

## Then there is the actual threads.. which are way bigger than the inner
collet.
No rf on the big threads.  The threads  + inner female collet are ZERO  DC
ohms
between em.

##  years ago, Andrews announced  they  stopped  making UHF connectors  for
7/8" heliax !
The only connector that  is readily available for  7/8"  heliax,  and also
LMR-1200  is
either a type N.... Or  a 7-16 DIN.... take ur pick.   I hate type N's with
a passion,most
useless  bloody thing devised for bigger cable.   A 7-16 Din is a mid 60's
 German military
design, that caught on fast.  It's  now used exclusively on all  North
American cell  sites.
We  dumped the last of the type N's   as of last summer.   All the new gear
has 7-16 dins.
All our competitor's  had already been using 7-16 dins.   A  7-16 male plug
 for  7/8"...
1.25"  or 1 5/8"  heliax  doesn't cost much more, if any.. compared to a
Type N  for the
same size cable.   What  really looks silly, is a type N  on a  1 5/8
 heliax cable !  Here
you have a connector the  size of a coffee mug... with this tiny type N  pin
in the middle..
which imo.. is just  glorified BNC crap.   The pin in a bnc is the same size
as a type N.

##  You can easily  apply  5 x the torque on a 7-16 Din  connector  vs  a
type N  for the
same size cable.  A 7-16 is good  to 6 ghz.  A type N is good  to 12 ghz...
and that's abt the
only advantage of the type N.   2900 v rms   vs  500 v  rms.

##  they make a bigger din too.. called a '13-30'

## The old LC connectors are going out of vogue.  The LC  chassis  female
connector is 2"  square
and uses  4 x 1/4-20  bolts.   A  7-16 din is only  1.25"  square.. and uses
 4 x 8-32  machine screws.
The type N  / SO-239  is  1" square.

## 7-16  connector's  are readily available on the surplus market these
days.  Lightning protection
devices use a pair of 7-16  chassis  dins in a box..  with a gas discharge
tube inside.  When the protector is
doa, they toss em.   You can buy the blown ones  for $2.00...and remove the
pair of 7-16 din female chassis
connectors.

later... Jim   VE7RF