Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 87, Issue 117

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 87, Issue 117
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:44:11 -0700
Carl, I didn't build the Tyler output modification, as the tube manufacturer in
France doesn't recommend 'efficiency improvements' via plate current waveform
modification. Although i did notice a copper slug
in their own test cavity amplifier that was said to help minimize second
harmonic power in the output. I am sticking to class AB2 - to B. I was
referring to the effects on plate current waveshape (and measured
DC to RF conversion efficiency) that MIGHT happen if a quarter wave stub was
placed at the wrong place, distance from the plate to the stub. However, it
would effect even harmonics and not odd ones, so it might
have zero net effect. I hoped to hear someone's experimental evidence of this
before I make big mechanical design changes.

In some of the medium wave b'dcast transmitters with tubes, though, I've seen
that circuit in use. The Collins 5 kW power rock did it. RCA had a nice app
note on it, Power Tube Engineering Note IEN-4. They
talked about the 5762/7C24 being overdriven with flat topped grid voltage in
the BTA5U, and having third harmonic parallel resonant traps in the cathode and
the plate leads to the tube.
Its tricky to try and design these same equivalent resonators into a coaxial
line circuit (a cavity). I can scan and email the app note, dated 1964.

John
K5PRO