[Amps] LCR Meter

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] LCR Meter
From: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 08:08:12 -0700
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 07:42:21 -0600
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LCR Meter

Jack, K8ZOA wrote a very in depth review of the AADE L/C IIB recently.
The link was published here a few days ago but here it is again
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/aade_l_c_iib_meter_review.htm and in
the 3rd paragraph is a button to download a pdf file of the review.
Page 13 of the review has a detailed graph of test frequency vs
capacitance or inductance.  The highest test freq. is about 750KHz and
the lowest is about 10KHz.

Larry Benko,. W0QE

##  here's  what it WON'T  do... which sucks.  It won't measure  caps  bigger
than 1.5 uf.    It won't measure polarized caps.. like lytics.   It won't
measure
'D'  of caps.    It won't measure higher than 1.5 Milli Henry.  It doesn't have
spring loaded slots  to get rid of excess L and C.     It won't measure
resistance
at all....so it's not really a LCR meter... but a LC meter.

##  it's good for small value coils and caps, for amp building, and that's
good.
Not being able to measure chokes up to 200 Henries, or polarized lytics up to
20,000uf  really stings.  And ditto,not being able to measure resistance  down
to .001 ohm.  Not being able to measure 'D'  of caps is another negative.

##  Once in a while I have to be able to measure  chokes up to 5 Henries.
I measure Hv  lytics  all the time.   For the small diff in price  between the
AADE  unit.. and a new  B+K  875B, I really don't think you are saving a great
deal.
With the AADE unit,   I'd have to buy more test gear,  to measure chokes and hv
lytics.
Even my fluke 87  won't read down to .001 ohm.  The  AADE  won't measure
resistance
at all, but that's not it's  pri function.

Later.... Jim   VE7RF