Re: [Amps] liquid cooling

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] liquid cooling
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 23:08:41 +0100
Ron Youvan wrote:
> Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>
>>> It is incorrect to say water is an insulator. No matter how much you
>>> distill it, there is a degree of self-ionization.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-ionization_of_water
>>>
>>> which puts an lower limit on the conductivity.
>
>    40,000 Volts DC across 36" of Teflon tubing does not put H2O the
> conductor category.
>
>    It is little more than trivial to add a demineralizer to the cooling
> circuit.

Water is neither a perfect conductor or insulator. Whether it is more like a
conductor or insulator depends on the context. Certainly, I think it wrong to
state water is an insulator, when its insulation properties are much poorer
than
things we normally call 'insulators' - PVC, Teflon, air etc.

Dave