Re: [Amps] HV lytic max V ratings..some notes

To: "Jim Thomson" <Jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV lytic max V ratings..some notes
From: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 00:09:48 +0100
Download yourself a copy of MIL HDBK 217F and look at the section on
aluminium electrolytic capacitors.  There's a nice calculation for MTBF and
it is influenced by, amongst other things, voltage and temperature.
Anything above about 60% rated voltage and 40C ambient will begin to
seriously reduce the life expectancy.  I don't have it in front of me, but
you can pick any component you like to do the sums.

The M stands for mean, it's not an absolute, it's a statistical prediction.
It has been said that most aircraft probably shouldn't get off the ground,
but then neither should the bumble bee.

David
G3UNA