Re: [Amps] Series screen gate design help

To: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Series screen gate design help
From: Radio WC6W <wc6w_amps@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:54:32 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Vic,
   A power FET or an IGBT (with an internal or external diode) should do for
that spot rather than an old bipolar device.

   At least a 600V device would be indicated.

   600V IGBT's have become very economical.

   A small series R between the screen and the FET / IGBT will protect against
arcs.  The device body diode will pass the arc current back to the power
supply...  who knows what it will do there!

   You'll need an isolated 10V source to drive the gate and probably an
optoisolator to couple the control signal.

   But why?

   If you're running Class C, with proper grid bias in the absence of drive,
the plate & screen currents will be essentially zero.

   The ol' clamp tube scheme was used with "Linear" amplifiers.

73 & Good evening,
   Marv WC6W

http://wc6w.50webs.com/