Re: [Amps] Calculation of Tube Impedance

To: amps@contesting.com, df3kv@t-online.de
Subject: Re: [Amps] Calculation of Tube Impedance
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 09:52:48 EDT
Hi Peter, Since you brought the conduction angle into the discussion, the
Pi/2 number equates to 1.57. The customary shortcut is use of 1.8 for the K
factor and I am assuming the difference between 1.57 and 1.8 is due to the
plate  voltage swing limitation.

The ratio of 1.57 to 1.8 is .872 and applied to a typical 4000v scenario
that would equate to 3488v. That leaves 512v as a minimum Ep and that is
within  the range of expectations.

Of course as you say, the tube calculator is the ultimate method to do his
and removes all of the ambiguities from the calculations.

Most of my experience is at VHF and UHF applications. At those frequencies,
 we don't get a choice of operating Q at all. What you see is what you get
and to  some extent simplifies design techniques. On the other hand, there
are no  shortcuts to preserving the plate (and cathode) resonator Q if you
want any  power output. Different skills come into play for that.

As always, I appreciate and enjoy your comments.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 5/1/2010 8:56:23 P.M. Central Daylight Time,