Re: [Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?

To: Jeff Blaine AC0C <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?
From: Martin Flynn <maflynn@theflynn.org>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 20:03:00 -0400
Jeff,
No insult intended -  It was a legit question based on what I had been
exposed to so far.

As a side note, I  am looking for a service monitor.    I also need some
sort of two-tone source & if the sound card is good enough for a
beginner, thats what I am going to use.

73 de Martin

Jeff Blaine AC0C wrote:
> Martin,
>
> There are 2 ways to look at this.  If you look at it from a "is this
> the official lab-standard proper way" standpoint, it comes up a
> loser.  I'm not suggesting it is.
>
> And If you look at it from a "is it a step in the right direction" and
> "can it be done by average joe ham for a few bucks" and get somewhat
> interesting results - the answer is yes.
>
> If guys want to keep peppering me with the details of proper IMD
> measurement, we can do that - but it's a sidebar to my key point.  I
> get it. This is not a proper Grandberg setup.  So for all those guys
> who are reading this or are sending me little off line mail about "IMD
> measurements 101," give me a break.  You are missing the point.
>
> Better the guy use a ruler to measure things than none at all.  If one
> headlight burns out in my car, I don't turn them both off because "if
> it's not perfect, then it's not worth doing."  There is no point to
> debate that a ruler is not as good as a caliper and my mailbox is
> filled with guys making that comment.  Even if the ruler is a gross
> approximation, the simple effort of looking at it raises awareness in
> an area of the hobby that as far as I can tell, gets damn near zero
> attention.  Well unless someone mentions certain down-under amp
> suppliers, anyway.
>
> Is better to have some newbie cranking away on his amp or his rig
> without any thought at all to the stuff going out his pipe - than it
> is to have him use less than perfect test setups?  Not here, at least
> here in the fly over country of KS.
>
> But then again, I've got a lot of inbox nonsense suggesting I don't
> know what I'm talking about.  Maybe that is the case...
>
> 73/jeff/ac0c

>>> for all PSK ops to have station monitors of this type when running