Re: [Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 19:06:59 -0400
 > The beauty of 1 dB compression power is that unlike two tone testing,
 > absolute accuracy is not required to achieve proper operation of the
 > amp.

Sure, if you end up reducing the drive by 3 dB because the user
can't tell the difference between 1 dB compression in the amplifier
and 1 dB of foldback in the drive due increased input SWR.

 > You DO NOT need to know what the actual power output is, you
 > only need to know at what point you should be adjusting the
 > drive to when running a linear mode.

You do need to know both the drive and output accurately.  That
is the only possible way to accurately determine the gain of the
amplifier and thus determine when the gain has dropped by 1 dB.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV