Re: [Amps] More parasitic choke questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] More parasitic choke questions
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:41:12 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:24:29 -0400, "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

>I guess that means that you are unable or incapable of backing up your
>statement. Here it is again for you.
>
>"If that were true, why do we see so many burned up suppressor
>resistors in both homebrew and commercial amps?"
>
>I'll ask again... what commercial amps are burning up suppressors??

REPLY:

Of my personally owned commercial amps, the Command HF-2500 had burned
parasitic suppressor resistors. Just in the last three days, the
following posts have expressed the same problem:

Posted by Martin Sole July 27, 2010:

"The aging resistors are going high though so increasing the Q which
may not be ideal. Looking at 3 amps, a 30L-1, a Henry 2K Classic X and
an Alpha 78 all of them show an increase of R above the spec of the
old carbon resistors original value. In the case of the Henry the
increase is about 100%!"

Posted by Jim Barber July 29, 2010:

"For example, my Henry 3KA (2x 3-500Z) needs occasional
attention to the suppressors to keep it from oscillating."

So to answer your question, Carl,  that's Collins, Henry, Alpha and
Command. And that's just in the last three days. Go back in the
archives several years and you will find many more examples.

And I'll make a prediction:  In the next few years as sunspots
increase (hopefully) and ten meters becomes more heavily used, the
number of burned suppressor resistors will increase greatly.

Does that answer your question?

73, Bill W6WRT