Re: [Amps] More parasitic choke questions

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] More parasitic choke questions
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:36:35 -0400
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 12:49 PM

You still dont get it yet do you Bill?

The coil must be self resonant at/near the parasitic frequency. However the
Q is way too high and the exact parasitic frequency is not rock stable and
varies with tuning, tube to tube, amp manufacturing tolerances and more. On
a spectrum analyzer it is far from a pure signal and has many sidebands and
other fuzzies popping in and out. A 3-500 amp can be anywhere in the 110-150
MHz range.

The coil is there to actually help encourage the parasitic and couple it to
the resistor which also broadens the tuned circuit bandwidth considerably so
that one design can be used in that model amp. The sole purpose of the
resistor is to stop it from happening which is why it is called a
suppressor. Ive used that description on here before as well as the term
"quench" and also "snubber" Bill, as well as on other forums.

Is it really the 10M fundamental that is heating some designs or is it the
5th harmonic or 7th on 15M, both of which fall right at/near a 3-500's
parasitic?  Some of the problem amps Ive worked on indicate it may be all of
the above based on SA observations especially with hard driven and mistuned
amps. Note that a lot of the smoke is let out during tune up and some folks
have particular problems with certain tubes, isnt that right Bill?
.
The coil must also be very low loss at the desired frequency, not the
nonsense that Measures and his camp followers spout. I call him the Jim
Jones of RF.

Carl
KM1H