Re: [Amps] More parasitic choke questions

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] More parasitic choke questions
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 03:49:37 -0400

On 7/30/2010 10:21 PM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> [...]
As reactance is lossless that is just how it quenches. Quench does not
mean to absorb, it means to put out, stop, or even prevent.  IOW it
prevents the parasitic from getting started. Another way of phrasing the
quenching, or preventing, is to say it "chokes off" the parasitic and
prevents the oscillation. If the parasitic choke is designed and working
properly It doesn't have to absorb anything as it prevents said parasite
from taking life.

Just go back to the one line of quoted text from the "Radio Handbook"
20th ed. "Just enough turns should be used to suppress the parasitic
oscillation,
and no more."

Suppress may be a better term that quench, but it does not absorb, it
prevents.

73

Roger (K8RI)

>   energy, in the sense of suppressing or absorbing it. Only resistance
> can do that.
>
> Think of the coil and resistor as a simple low pass filter.
It's more like a broad band stop filter.