Re: [Amps] How do you - powering a SS amp with a capacitor?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] How do you - powering a SS amp with a capacitor?
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 10:59:23 +0100

On 09/08/2010 09:31, Roger wrote:

> On 8/9/2010 3:29 AM, chas wrote:
>> The idea here is to have a stand alone HF system for Emcomm until I can get
>> the genset running...  Which I played with after Hurricane IKE. Lots of
>> lessons learned...
>>

>> Given,
>>
>> - a 500W SGC Cube
>> - Two AGM 6V Golf Cart batteries (will add two more later in parallel/series)
>> - an IntelliPower 9280 PS
>> - #4AWG zipcord for powerline with 75a fuses.
>>
>> I want to hook the above together creating a deep cycle AGM 12V battery pack
>> with about 200ah capacity. (the second pack will double that)
>>
>> I am thinking about adding a one or two Farad capacitor in line between the
>> batteries and the amp.  The only thing I am not sure about is whether the PS
>> will charge that many batteries, etc.
>>

> Those batteries are the strongest capacitors you can get.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)

I agree.  With decent AGM batteries I can't really see the need for
capacitors.

I have worked with AGM SLA betteries for many years in Ambulance
electrical systems. I also use them to power various repeaters and have
a split charge system in my SUV for powering ham radio equipment.

The trick to getting good performance and good outcomes is all to do
with how you treat your batteries (charge/discharge).

Most SLA AGM batteries can be used with stepped charging with the harder
charging at 14.4V and float/maintained charging at 13.8V.  Most SLA
batteries shouldn't be discharged below 10.8V as this may permanently
damage the chemistry - consider a low voltage disconnector.

There's some good information over at Battery university:

        http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Regards

Mike G8TIC