Re: [Amps] How do you - powering a SS amp with a capacitor?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] How do you - powering a SS amp with a capacitor?
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:33:13 -0400

>   >  Just watch the plate voltage drop in a typical amp as you add
>   >  compression. Unprocessed SSB in a typical amp may show 100 volt drop
>   >  while heavily processed with compression and clipping might show a 300
>   >  volt drop.
>
> A 300 V drop in a 2500V supply is less than 1.5% ... that's not even
> in the same league as a 2V drop (11.5V under load) for a 13.8V power
> supply. The IMD in a 100W transceiver on a Gamma supply makes the
> Italian CB amplifiers look good.

And?... It's an example to show the difference between raw SSB, and
heavily processed SSB or even steady carrier.  When you get to high
current low voltage the difference becomes much more and requires much
more capacitance for good voltage regulation. A SS amp may be able to
run on 12, 24, 48 or even 100 volts, but that low voltage doesn't come
for free.

73

Roger (K8RI)