[Amps] 50 w stud mount zeners

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 50 w stud mount zeners
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:40:07 -0700
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:33:12 -0500
From: "Roy" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 50 w stud mount zeners

"6A10s are a good choice, but for a high bias tube like a GS-35b you
need a lot of them - about 40. (24 VDC x .6 V per diode)."

CW key up /  key down regulation is not good with a string of diodes. With a
dozen I measured a droop of 1-volt. With a 50 w zener it was nil.

73,  Roy          K6XK

##  I measured a 12%  increase in V drop across each 6A10 diode.... and that's
going
from 200ma  [sorta typ zsac]  to 2-3A.   About 15 yrs ago, I tried putting an
electrolytic  across
the entire string of diodes.   On ssb/cw... it  smooths out the bias really
good.  But the cap has to be big
enough... like   5000-50,000 uf.. and have a high enough ripple current rating,
to handle the full cathode
current  [sum of grid + plate current] .  This implies the ripple current
rating of the electrolytic'S  has to be
at least 2.5 X  the cathode current.    You can always parallel lytics to
increase their ripple current rating.

## Having said that, I dunno if the 10,000 uf cap  improves TX  imd or not,
probably,  but I suspect  it's
not a  huge difference.  It would be  easy to open up the lytic with a spst
toggle..for tx imd testing.

## On these amps that use electronic  grid over current protection, the typ
deal is..a resistor  is wired in
series with the grid meter/shunt.  The typ 1-3 volt drop across this resistor
is applied to a pot,  and the pot
is just a V divider.   The lower voltage from the pot, [one side to wiper]  is
applied to the rest of the
grid over-current protection scheme.   The point here is, why get focused on  a
lousy 1 volt of bias regulation
from a string of 6A10 diodes.. when you just ADDED 1-3 vdc of bias  from the
grid over-current protection ?

##  On any SB-220/221... the  stock grid chokes used have a 25 ohm dc
resistance.  When you pull loads of
grid current, you get a V drop across the chokeS... again more un wanted
yo-yo'ing bias.  Incidentally, the chokes
used on the L4 / L4B  are only .915 ohm.

##  I have toasted both 10 + 50 W zener's  in the past.  The problem with
zener's  is they require a big heatsink...
and the 2nd problem is they don't have much of a surge rating.   A single 6A10
has a 400A surge rating.  You can
also parallel 6A10's  to increase the surge rating.    I also noticed that the
'new'   10A10 looks identical to a 6A10..
with the same 400A surge rating.  It appears all they have done is heat-sinked
the ends with big square traces on the
PC board.   I noticed the same effect when testing strings of 6A10 diodes in
the test jig.   The  1st + last diode's  would
run cool... when the middle diodes  were warm / hot  [ 3-6A flowing] .  My test
clips  were in effect, heat-sinking the input
of diode #1... and  the output of diode  # 40 !     Since I was buying  6A10's
250+  at a time..for B+ supplies, I had plenty
on hand to make bias diodes, and also meter protection, etc.   The 6A10 is a
one diode, does everything diode.  Come
glitch time... you won't be destroying 6A10 bias diodes.   You can always
insert a  FAST 3AGC cathode fuse in series
with the bias diodes.  [ and wire a parallel pair of 100K 3 watt  mof's  across
the fuse holder]

Later... Jim   VE7RF